Whether you are seeking medical care in another country or if you get caught up in an emergency when traveling, it's always best to know what your healthcare plan covers, how payments are processed and what you are responsible for.
Are you or someone you know going overseas for medical treatment? Check out the insurance tips below when receiving treatment abroad with support from your healthcare provider.
What you will learn:
- Set up direct payment
- Make sure you can establish payment or receive reimbursement
- Hold onto your receipts
- How to file a claim overseas
Tips to Consider when Receiving Treatment Abroad.
Set up Direct Payment before Arriving at your Final Destination
Ensure you can Establish Payment or Receive Reimbursement
Hold onto your Receipts
Keep this in Mind
Filing a Claim Overseas.
- Before you even leave the country, be sure to always review what your policy covers you for and what exposures you might be facing.
- You will often find policy limitations when you travel overseas. Consider extending your medical coverage with a travel insurance policy to help cover expenses that your current provider will not.
- If you're in an emergency and you cannot set up a direct payment, you may have to pay out of pocket. You can then file for a reimbursement after the fact. Be sure to call your insurance company after receiving treatment.
- If you receive paperwork in a different language, don’t worry! Once you submit the documentation, the paperwork will be reviewed and translated for your convenience.
If you're looking into a global health policy or travel insurance coverage, we would be happy to help!