What You Will Learn
Who Needs Leak Detection Devices
Where to Place Leak Detection Devices
Options To Purchase
Types of Devices
- Battery Operated Water Detection Alarms - When water contacts the device, a loud alarm sounds. This tone will alert you to a leak within your property and could help prevent considerable damage. This option is not recommended if your property will be vacant for more than 2-3 days at a time.
- Wi-fi Operated Water Detection Sensors (Our Advocate's recommended choice) - Like the alarms, you can set these up easily in areas where water leaks may occur. However, these devices have the option to notify you of a leak via your smartphone. This is helpful if the leak occurs when you are away from the property.
1. Community Associations
If an association has a history of water damage claims the annual premium for the Condominium’s master insurance policy will increase. Unfortunately, that means that condominium dues then must increase to cover the costs.
Insurance carriers review frequency and severity when determining insurability. “Frequency” is how often similar claims occur, while “Severity” refers to large single claims.
An early warning system (such as these alarms) can have a positive impact on both frequency and severity. Over time this will also have a positive impact on your loss history and therefore insurance premiums.
If each unit owner installs alarms in the following areas, then the risk of future claims could drastically reduce. Over time, this can result in better insurance rates which would result in lower assessments.
Homeowners can use leak detectors to monitor their plumbing systems, HVAC units, and appliances for leaks that could cause damage to their property. Certain leak detectors can even qualify you for discounts on your homeowners premium.
3. Business Owners
Business owners can use leak detectors to monitor their facilities for leaks that could cause damage to their equipment, inventory, and property. Certain devices can qualify you for discounts on your business owners policy premium.
Water detection devices should be installed anywhere that has a high risk of water damage. For example:
- Behind your refrigerator
- Behind your toilet
- Under your sinks
- Near hot water heaters & washing machine
- Near your HVAC units
- In your basement or crawl space
- Smart Water Leak Sensor 3 Pack
- Govee WiFi Water Sensor 3 Pack
- X-Sense Wi-Fi Water Leak Detector
- Flood Buzz Water Leak Detector - Set of 3
- Geevon 2 Pack Water Leak Detector
- Water Detectors Wireless 90dB Adjustable Audio
*Sahouri does not endorse the products above. The links provided are to make your risk prevention easier. To find out which devices may qualify you for discounts, please reach out to your Insurance Advocate.